Friday, March 28, 2014

The Paul Loves Weezer Project - Song 17 Falling for You

#Pinkerton

Leading up to the beginning of Weezer's Spring Tour, I'm going to feature PINKERTON era songs, including all 10 songs off the record, culminating on April 1st.  We have tickets to go see the Myrtle Beach House of Blues show!

4 Days 'til Weezer!

For the seventeenth Weezer Song of the Day, Pinkerton continues with track #9 Falling for You.  Another song that was written at Harvard and specifically meant for Pinkerton.


Falling for You never got a real music video, here's the Pinkerton version:




I've seen Falling for You performed live 3 times.  According to Setlist.fm it has been played live fewer than 100 times since 1996.  Again, Weezer did not play it live between January 1997 and November 2010, except for 12 times in summer 2002.  I think it's clear this track fell off the setlists until the Memories shows, because it is difficult to play live.  It's a complex song for guitarists, which is ironic considering Rivers' lyric "little ol' 3-chord me." 

Falling for You is called the musical peak of Pinkerton and I think it is the lyrical peak, too.  It's a gold mine of lyrics:

"I've got a number of irrational fears, That I'd like to share with you"

"I gotta go turn in my rock star card and get fat and old with you"


They speak for themselves.  There's that cello again! 







Totally Undone!

What do you guys think?

Weezerpedia Entry for Falling for You.

Weezer is playing a free, live show in Baton Rouge, Louisiana tonight!  Who's going?


Project Info: 
So why did I create this blog?  To document my Weezer Song Project.  Over the next year, I am going to attempt to listen to every...EVERY Weezer song recorded.  All the album tracks and b-sides will be easy, but there are some unreleased songs that may or not be accessible.  Hopefully, the search (and destroy) will be fun to follow.  At the moment, the list has 213 songs!  My list includes You Gave Your Love to me Softly, Longtime SunshineTurn Me Round, Waiting on You, and Back to the Shack.  We learned early this year that a new Weezer record is on the way and we got to hear Back to the Shack twice on the Weezer Cruise II.

So here is the master list from Karl et al. on Weezerpedia!
 I will soon publish my Google Doc Spreadsheet, which will document my progress.
Here is my Spotify playlist.
Paul Loves Weezer YOUTUBE Playlist

PLW Rater!  It's not quite Leonard Maltin, but it will work.
1 - Go get a beer...It's still a Weezer song, but it's a good time to rent a beer
2 - Head Bobber...The song causes at least moderate movement
3 - Rock it out...Banging of the head and the arm is in the air \m/
4 - Undone...No choice but to jump around

No comments:

Post a Comment