Tuesday, March 18, 2014

The Paul Loves Weezer Project - Song 9 You Won't Get with me Tonight

#Pinkerton

Leading up to the beginning of Weezer's Spring Tour, I'm going to feature PINKERTON era songs, including all 10 songs off the record, culminating on April 1st.  We have tickets to go see the Myrtle Beach House of Blues show!  It's 2 weeks from today!!!

So last night, I had a Weezer dream.  I seldom remember my dreams, but I remember two from last night.  The first one was a dream about a Foo Fighters performance, which is a bit hazy.  I think it was on either a Foo Fighters Cruise or Weezer Cruise 3.0 with The FF.  The Weezer dream was more vivid and all of the dreams I remember are in full-color.  I don't remember the dialogue, though.  Also, I don't hear my own voice in dreams.

I was at a Weezer concert with seats, like the upcoming Durham show.  At the beginning of a song that Brian was singing, Rivers was in the audience and chose me to come backstage with him.  It was very clean, spacious area with nice couches and tables.  Rivers handed me a ukulele-sized guitar with a long neck.  I think I indicated that I don't play, because he said don't worry about it.  Then he had me slap my legs with my hands along to the song.  He was nice and didn't laugh at me and Scott appeared for a moment and was, of course, cool.  I don't remember the song and the dream ended while I was still backstage...Only in Dreams

For the ninth Weezer Song of the Day, the Pinkerton era continues with track You Won't Get with me Tonight.  This is another song from the Songs from the Black Hole project, which morphed into Pinkerton.  It was intended to be a duet withe Maria character, but Rivers sings both parts on the recording we have.



(Embed not available)



Here is the Pinkerton Deluxe version, which was recorded in February 1995:







You Won't Get with me Tonight has never been performed live according to Setlist.fm.

You Won't Get with me Tonight  is a story song, and I'd love to hear it with female vocals accompanying Rivers.  It has another lyrical instance of 'getchoo.'  It fits right in withe sound of Pinkerton.  This is another one making me want to hear an official release of Songs from the Black Hole. I wonder if Weezer will ever stage SFTBH???






This one is a Head Bobber with promise!

What do you guys think?

Weezerpedia Entry for You Won't Get with me Tonight

When will they play YWGWMT?


Project Info: 
So why did I create this blog?  To document my Weezer Song Project.  Over the next year, I am going to attempt to listen to every...EVERY Weezer song recorded.  All the album tracks and b-sides will be easy, but there are some unreleased songs that may or not be accessible.  Hopefully, the search (and destroy) will be fun to follow.  At the moment, the list has 213 songs!  My list includes You Gave Your Love to me Softly, Longtime SunshineTurn Me Round, Waiting on You, and Back to the Shack.  We learned early this year that a new Weezer record is on the way and we got to hear Back to the Shack twice on the Weezer Cruise II.

So here is the master list from Karl et al. on Weezerpedia!
 I will soon publish my Google Doc Spreadsheet, which will document my progress.
Here is my Spotify playlist.
Paul Loves Weezer YOUTUBE Playlist

PLW Rater!  It's not quite Leonard Maltin, but it will work.
1 - Go get a beer...It's still a Weezer song, but it's a good time to rent a beer
2 - Head Bobber...The song causes at least moderate movement
3 - Rock it out...Banging of the head and the arm is in the air \m/
4 - Undone...No choice but to jump around

3 comments:

  1. I most certainly will not be going on THAT cruise with the Foo f@%^kers! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. But the picture I have in my head of you 'playing' the ukelele has me smiling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smile! It was similar to this one:

      http://www.lehuaukulele.com/soprano_longneck.html

      Delete