Friday, March 7, 2014

The Paul Loves Weezer Project - Song 2 High Up Above

Debuting today: PLW Rater!  It's not quite Leonard Maltin, but it will work.

1 - Go get a beer...It's still a Weezer song, but it's a good time to rent a beer
2 - Head Bobber...The song causes at least moderate movement
3 - Rock it out...Banging of the head and the arm is in the air \m/
4 - Undone...No choice but to jump around

Keep Fishin' gets a Rock it out.  When Weezer plays it live, the crowd really gets into it!  Like this:



For the second Weezer Song of the Day, I chose another song from the DC Demos and the BBC Sessions during the Maladroit era.

Today's featured song is High Up Above, which is from the Maladroit demos and is currently officially Unreleased.  Here is the clean version from the late 2001:




Here is an earlier, demo version from the DC Demos.


I've never seen High Up Above performed live.  According to Setlist.fm it has been played live 13 times. All in 2001 and only once in the USA.

Here is a high-quality TV recording from the Hultsfred Festival, Sweden:



It's a missing your love kind of song.  The lead guitar is at the forefront and Brian rips it up on some great Kiss-esque guitar solos are mixed in, as well.  The organ from the DC Demo is nearly gone and somewhat missed.  The live summer version featured above from Sweden is my favorite.  It's cool to see Rivers on organ and the tempo is a little faster.  You can find Weezer's entire performance at the 2001 Hultsfred Festival on the Youtube playlist.

I'd like to see a rearrangement with Scott on bass now, bringing the organ back, but withe higher tempo of the most recent demo.

The lyrics of a lost love make me feel somber for Patrick in his time of loss.



I'll give it a Head Bobber

What do you guys think?

Weezerpedia Entry for High Up Above

If you have seen it live, please comment!

Project Info: 
So why did I create this blog?  To document my Weezer Song Project.  Over the next year, I am going to attempt to listen to every...EVERY Weezer song recorded.  All the album tracks and b-sides will be easy, but there are some unreleased songs that may or not be accessible.  Hopefully, the search (and destroy) will be fun to follow.  At the moment, the list has 211 songs!  My list includes Longtime Sunshine, Turn Me Round and Back to the Shack.  We learned early this year that a new Weezer record is on the way and we got to hear Back to the Shack twice on the Weezer Cruise II.

So here is the master list from Karl et al. on Weezerpedia!
 I will soon publish my Google Doc Spreadsheet, which will document my progress.
Here is my Spotify playlist.
Paul Loves Weezer YOUTUBE Playlist

4 comments:

  1. Hey, man. Saw your post on r/weezer. Wanted to let you know, I am going to attempt to partake in this project with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rock! Love to have you along. Have you seen Weezer live?

      Delete
    2. Not yet. Seeing them play the blue album next month and then again in Durham this July. Sooooooo pumped!

      Delete
    3. That's awesome! We're going to be in Durham, too! I really love the full album shows and I wish they would extend it to the Green an Red albums, too.

      Delete