Tuesday, March 11, 2014

The Paul Loves Weezer Project - Song 4 Tired of Sex

#Pinkerton

Leading up to the beginning of Weezer's Spring Tour, I'm going to feature PINKERTON era songs, including all 10 songs off the record, culminating on April 1st.  We have tickets to go see the Myrtle Beach House of Blues show!

For the fourth Weezer Song of the Day, we are beginning the Pinkerton album, released in 1996, with Tired of Sex.  This is song #1 on Pinkerton and is the first song I ever saw Weezer play live!


There was never a video produced, so here's Tired of Sex live from Japan circa 2000/1:





I've seen Tired of Sex performed live 4 times.  According to Setlist.fm it has been played live more than 345 times beginning back in 1994. I saw them play it back on the Pinkerton Tour in 1997!  I've seen it twice as part of Pinkerton Memories shows, both in 2012.


Tired of Sex is the first track on Pinkerton.  It's a lament of the lead singer, who wants true love, but "can't say no."  It is a quick, drum-heavy start to another fantastic album.  I loved this album from day 1.  I remember getting it in the fall of 1996 and listening to it on repeat.  I also remember seeing the original Rolling Stone review and wondering if they were listening to the same record.

The fall of 1996 was a tough time for me, as I had graduated from The USC in May and I was still delivering pizza.  

My goal was achieved when I was accepted for a USDA AmeriCorps project for the 1996-1997 service year.  I quit my job at Papa Johns and was ready to begin, but we got a call that delayed our start date.  Two weeks later, we received a letter stating that our program had been canceled, due to a lack of funding.  The funding was federal and as it turns out there was a republican congressman who disliked Americorps (President Bill Clinton's program) and was able to withdraw our funding from the USDA budget.  

This was a huge disappointment, to say the least, and I had to start working at Papa Johns again.  I felt like I was going backwards and a disappointment to my family.  My grandfather had served in the Civilian Conservation Corps in the 1930's before joining the Army in 1935.  He achieved CW04 rank in the Air Force and retired in 1965 with decorated service.  I just wanted to serve one year and see where it took me.  My salary would have been a grand total of $12k for that year.

My Grandfather at his desk in Panama ca. 1960



I got tickets to see Weezer at The Music Farm in Charleston, SC on January 18, 1997.  I had listened to Pinkerton a lot and it helped me through that fall.  As it turned out, I got the job I applied and interviewed for in early January and started 5 days after the Weezer concert.  I worked there for 8+ years and learned to be an energy manager.  Things work out, but it's often hard to see it that in the moment!







We are Rocking it Out!

What do you guys think?

Weezerpedia Entry for Tired of Sex

What are your favorite memories of seeing it live?

Project Info: 
So why did I create this blog?  To document my Weezer Song Project.  Over the next year, I am going to attempt to listen to every...EVERY Weezer song recorded.  All the album tracks and b-sides will be easy, but there are some unreleased songs that may or not be accessible.  Hopefully, the search (and destroy) will be fun to follow.  At the moment, the list has 212 songs!  My list includes You Gave Your Love to me Softly, Longtime SunshineTurn Me Round and Back to the Shack.  We learned early this year that a new Weezer record is on the way and we got to hear Back to the Shack twice on the Weezer Cruise II.

So here is the master list from Karl et al. on Weezerpedia!
 I will soon publish my Google Doc Spreadsheet, which will document my progress.
Here is my Spotify playlist.
Paul Loves Weezer YOUTUBE Playlist

PLW Rater!  It's not quite Leonard Maltin, but it will work.
1 - Go get a beer...It's still a Weezer song, but it's a good time to rent a beer
2 - Head Bobber...The song causes at least moderate movement
3 - Rock it out...Banging of the head and the arm is in the air \m/
4 - Undone...No choice but to jump around

No comments:

Post a Comment