Monday, March 10, 2014

The Paul Loves Weezer Project - Song 3 You Gave Your Love to me Softly

Are you ready for some Pinkerton?

Leading up to the beginning of Weezer's Spring Tour, I'm going to feature PINKERTON era songs, including all 10 songs off the record, culminating on April 1st.  We have tickets to go see the Myrtle Beach House of Blues show!

For the third Weezer Song of the Day, we are going back to 1995 with You Gave Your Love to me Softly.  This is Pinkerton era material that simply rocks.  It was featured on the Angus soundtrack, as well as the B-side to El Scorcho.

Did you watch Angus (1995) this weekend?  We did and our 11-year-old daughter loved it.  She thought the music in the movie was cool.  Lots of Green Day and the Weezer song right after the climax at the dance.  I think her favorite part was Angus and Troy's frozen high five as the king of the ball is announced.




Here's a live version from MTV All Access in 2001:





I've seen You Gave Your Love to me Softly performed live 4 times.  According to Setlist.fm it has been played live more than 200 times beginning back in 1994. I saw them play it back on the Pinkerton Tour in 1997!  Every time I see them play it, I wish it was about 2 minutes longer!


Here is the most recent on The Weezer Cruise II:  (Starts at 1:10)




This is Rock Music at it's finest.  It's impossible to sit still when this song is played.  It's certainly one of my favorites, even though it is a bit short.  YGYLTMS evokes punky metal with its length, riffs and chord changes.  It'd be great to hear Scott Shriner sing it!

I wondered what Bijan was until I thought to Google it and found that it's perfume.  Not as interesting as I'd hoped.

The trivia on IMDB.com  is that Rivers was asked to write a song based on the original screenplay, which is a lot different than the final movie.  He wrote YGYLTMS and Wanda, which became a Homie 'standard.'  Wanda is an acoustic love song, which you can find on Youtube.





This one is definitely Undone!

What do you guys think?

Weezerpedia Entry for You Gave Your Love to me Softly

What are your favorite memories of seeing it live?

Project Info: 
So why did I create this blog?  To document my Weezer Song Project.  Over the next year, I am going to attempt to listen to every...EVERY Weezer song recorded.  All the album tracks and b-sides will be easy, but there are some unreleased songs that may or not be accessible.  Hopefully, the search (and destroy) will be fun to follow.  At the moment, the list has 212 songs!  My list includes You Gave Your Love to me Softly, Longtime SunshineTurn Me Round and Back to the Shack.  We learned early this year that a new Weezer record is on the way and we got to hear Back to the Shack twice on the Weezer Cruise II.

So here is the master list from Karl et al. on Weezerpedia!
 I will soon publish my Google Doc Spreadsheet, which will document my progress.
Here is my Spotify playlist.
Paul Loves Weezer YOUTUBE Playlist

PLW Rater!  It's not quite Leonard Maltin, but it will work.
1 - Go get a beer...It's still a Weezer song, but it's a good time to rent a beer
2 - Head Bobber...The song causes at least moderate movement
3 - Rock it out...Banging of the head and the arm is in the air \m/
4 - Undone...No choice but to jump around

No comments:

Post a Comment